Keynote Address: Jody Urquhart
#SoDakSHRM2018 kicked off to a great start with hilarious motivational speaker, Jody Urquhart, and her keynote address entitled "This Would Be Funny If It Wasn't Happening to Me! How to Navigate the Future With Humor, Enthusiasm & Vigor."
When you have a lot of stress in your life, you tend to make more mistakes. When you laugh, you release dopamine which allows for better recall of information and therefore improved learning. Humor, therefore, helps us in the workplace! We need it, because we are going through unprecedented amounts of change in all areas of life, including work.
Technology makes all this change possible. We now seek answers online whereas in the past we might have had individual relationships to help us navigate different areas of life.
* Soft skills take up 38% more of our time as HR leaders than they used to
* You will never get caught up at work. Ever. #giveuponthat
* When you 'hold on to stuff' it actually holds you back; you are change resistent
* The past should remind us, not define us #letitgo
* Meaning and value comes from working hard for something
* Average attention span today is 9 seconds! #terrifying
* Multitasking brings down productivity
* Loss is more motivating than gain when someone is in survival mode
A critical challenge of leadership today is knowing when to provide direction and when to provide support. When someone is drowning, they don't need support, they need direction!Don't recognize people for just doing their job. They are supposed to do their job. Recognize them when they go above and beyond, when they strive.
Our conference theme is 'Solving the HR Puzzle' and today's keynote started us on that path and put us in a good mood. Learn more about Jody Urquhart at www.idoinspire.com, or check out her bestselling book, "All Work and No Say."